"We need training for everyone in the organization on the importance of high-quality customer service -- immediately!"
With requests like these pouring in from managers and executives, it’s no wonder so many training departments are trapped in a flurry of activity. Moving from project to project, departments get sapped of the time and energy required to shift their focus from making isolated ""quick fixes"" to becoming drivers of long-term, demonstrable human performance improvements. Now there’s real help for making this important jump.
Celebrated as the groundbreaking manual when it was first published in 1996, this completely revised second edition of Beyond Training and Development takes you step by step through a transformation process that will change the way you think about training and development. The book unlocks the extraordinary potential of Human Performance Enhancement (HPE), a systematic, holistic, results-based approach that focuses on accomplishments instead of behavior.
Packed with eye-opening examples, ready-to-use self-assessment tools and worksheets (also available on the accompanying CD-ROM), easy-to-read charts and tables, concise summaries of the existing literature, and original data from a recent survey of training and development professionals, Beyond Training and Development guides you through the HPE process, including how to:
* Build a convincing business case for change and assess the competencies your staff will need in their expanded roles.
* Gather and analyze information on the current level of performance in your organization.
* Envision what should be happening by conducting the often neglected step of environmental scanning—then comparing the results with your internal appraisal.
* Clarify present and future performance gaps, either working as a solitary analyst or adopting a team approach that empowers stakeholders.
* Identify the underlying causes of a performance gap -- the most important and difficult step in HPE -- with a focus on both fixing problems and seizing previously undetected performance enhancement opportunities.
* Use a variety of powerful, proven HPE strategies to narrow or close human performance gaps at every level: the organizational environment, the work environment, the work, and the workers.
* Demonstrate the bottom-line benefit of enacting HPE strategies in your organization.
This is your one-stop action manual for transforming training and development into an indispensable driver of human performance improvements."
William J. Rothwell, Ph.D., SPHR, heads up a graduate specialization in training and human resources in the Workforce Education and Development Program of Learning and Performance Systems on the University Park Campus of The Pennsylvania State University. He is also president of Rothwell & Associates, Inc. (www.rothwell-associates.com), a full-service private consulting firm that specializes in all facets of human performance improvement, and is the author or coauthor of numerous books, including The 2004 ASTD Competency Study Mapping the Future, Improving On-the-Job Training, Competency-Based Human Resource Management, What CEOs Expect from Corporate Training and The Workplace Learner. He lives in State College, Pennsylvania.